Saturday, November 17, 2012

Steamed Chocolate Cupcakes

Yes, Steam Cakes are indeed in trend this month in my home... And I am enjoying it very much. I had given alot of steamed cakes to my friend, and her hubby mentioned that I seemed to be enjoying doing so... So I told my friend, this month onwards my daughter will be starting her school vacations, plus my boss is not in SG, so taking all these time available to bake again...

I had bought this "Steamed Cakes" recipe book when I was in Penang last October, but I had never tried any of the recipes since I bought it till today.
From this book, I had selected the Steamed Chocolate Cupcakes as the ingredients were rather basic. Some of the other recipes required evaporated milk and condensed milk, which I wasn't too keen in them.
A full ingredients could actually fetch quite a number of cupcakes, depending on the size of your paper cups.
*Note: It is better to use those "paper" cupcake cases as compared to the other cupcake cases as the paper cups will "opened" up during steaming.
These steamed chocolate cupcakes were not too bad. I had modified some of the ingredients. Cutting down a huge amount of the icing sugar, using margarine instead of butter, and replacing the hot water with milk too. The cupcakes did turned out well, soft and moist, but a little not so sweet.. So perhaps I should increase a little more sugar...hehehehe...
The gals loved these cupcakes too. I was glad that they liked it. Mimi had 2 of them and she said it was yummy. My friend who tried the cupcakes said they were delicious as well.
Would you like to try one as well?

Recipe as adapted from the Steamed Cakes by Mdm Zubaidah Bte Chepa

Ingredients:
Yields about 16 medium size cups & 16 mini size cups
250g superfine flour (I use self raising flour)
1 tsp baking soda (omitted)
75g cocoa powder
350g icing sugar (I used 200g)
250g butter (I used margarine)
3 eggs
1 bowl of hot water (I used 250ml cold milk)

Method:
1. Beat butter & sugar until smooth.
2. Add in the egg one at a time, mix well at each addition.
3. Add in the flour+cocoa powder, alternating with the milk. Mix until well blended.
4. Pour batter into the paper cup cases and steam over high heat for about 10mins.
(If you are using my ingredients, you can fill the batter till full as the cupcakes will shrink a little after removing from heat)

I am submitting this to Aspiring Bakers #25 – Steaming Hot Cakes (November 2012) hosted by Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders

No comments:

Post a Comment