Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Durian Chiffon Cake

After trying the durian cupcakes, I had leftover durian puree.. So I decided to try baking a Durian Chiffon Cake. My friend Eileen had given me 2 durian recipes to be attempted, and this is the 2nd one... Let's see how we fair in this Durian Chiffon.
 I had added fresh durian puree, not too sure how much 1/2 cup of durian puree will be, I had used about 125g of them. The batter came out abit stiff, very difficult to combined, but after adding in the durian puree, it became more manageable.
There wasn't any durian smell after I added in the puree, so I was crossing my fingers to see how this chiffon will turn out to be....

Mmmmm, not too bad... While baking half way through, the fragrant of the durian came by... and the whole house was smelling of durian. Nic on the other hand was telling me that it was so smelly... whereas for me, I was waiting for the outcome of this chiffon...:))
The texture of the chiffon came out not too bad, soft & fluffly, but it was a little little dense. But overall of it, it was very tasty!
So if you like durian, you might like to give this a try too?

Recipe as adapted from My Kitchen,
Ingredients (8"):
A

4 egg yolks
20gm caster sugar
40gm vegetable cooking oil
30ml milk (I used 40ml)¼ tsp salt
½ tsp durian essence (optional) (I omitted)
B
100gm cake flour (or 85gm all purpose flour + 15gm cornflour)
½ tsp baking powder

C
4 egg whites
100gm caster sugar
⅛ tsp cream of tartar

D½ cup durian flesh, pureed ( I used about 125g)

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 170 degree C.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together ingredients A until combined.
  3. Sift together ingredients B, then add into (2) and mix well. Set aside for later use.
  4. In another large mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks. Add in sugar and cream of tartar and continue to beat until stiff.
  5. Take ¼ of the meringue and mix with (3) until well mixed. Gradually add in remaining meringue, and lastly stir in durian puree. Stir until just combined.
  6. Transfer batter into chiffon pan and bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes.
  7. Invert the cake immediately after taking out from oven, and cool on rack completely before turning out from mould.

No comments:

Post a Comment