Monday, November 19, 2012

Chocolate & Coffee Cupcakes

Recently Nat had a change of taste bud... Suddenly she just like coffee flavor. Amongst my 3 gals, she is the one who has an exotic taste, like enjoying durian, coffee, enjoying even red wine & beer... Hmmm, that's pretty unusual for a little girl though...
Nevertheless, she had been quite supportive of the bakes that I had tried, and she will always be the one whom is willing to try, unlike Mimi, who used to "test" my cakes, simply just tell me these days that those cakes are not her favourite.. :-p

These Chocolate & Coffee Cupcakes were quite tempting.. Being chocolate & coffee..
But I guess I didn't fare quite well on these cupcakes.
Firstly, I felt that my chocolate flavour wasn't too much
Secondly, the coffee smell was there but not too satisfying to me
Thirdy, my cupcakes came out abit hard
... ...
But the consolation was, the coffee cream was yummy!!!!
I used my own combination of the whipped cream + instant coffee mix, and topped with chopped peanuts!
hahahahahaha.....
If I hadn't mentioned those cons, these cupcakes would look extremely fantastic isn't it???
Recipe as adapted from Kevin Chai:

Ingredients:
250g butter
180g sugar
4 eggs
200g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
150g melted chocolate
2 tbsp canola oil
30ml kahlua

Method:
1. Beat butter & sugar until fluffy. Add in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
2. Fold in sifted flour, baking powder & soda.
3. Stir melted chocolate with canola oil, then pour into flour mixture with kahlua, mix well.
4. Spoon the mixture into the cases. Bake for 20mins in a preheated oven of 175C. Remove cupcakes & cool on a rack.

Coffee Cream:
200g butter
150g icing sugar
1 tsp instant coffee powder
100g melted chocolate

Prepare the cream by beating butter, icing sugar and coffee powder until light & smooth. Stir in melted chocolate and pipe on top of each cupcake. Decorate with chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment