Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Bake-Along #28 - Coconut Checkerboard Brownies

Time to bake again with our 3 host from Bake-Along, Joyce, Lena & Zoe.
This time, a Coconut Checkerboard Brownies had been choosen. I do quite like brownies very much as they were rather a "chewy" texture. But for this bake, it was rather a challenge for me as it was a "checkerboard". hehehehe.....
In fact, I had make quite a mess on this bake attempt... I don't quite really understand the steps as I find it quite confusing... Probably it was just me...
And also, coconut flakes wasn't sold widely in SG and I had managed to found them from Bake King shop. Not sure how much coconut flakes was needed, I bought just 1 pack of 100g, only realizing that I needed more for a full recipe. Thus I had halved my ingredients, and that's when the "MESS" arrived!!!!
I do not have a food processor, so I had used my hand-held blender to blend the coconut flakes to fine flakes, trying very hard though, LOL, and OK, I did managed to blend them into smaller flakes... :-p

I had prepared the coconut batter, and they were supposed to "harden" after refrigeration, but mine didn't... Thinking very hard of what had I done wrong or what had I missed... I was pondering if I should continued to prepare the chcocolate batter if this coconut batter was done wrongly... After giving some thoughts, I decided to gave it a shot. It probably wasn't what I should be expecting. As you can see, my coconut batter was in a "watery" state... Cross my toes & let's see what happening during the baking process....
Still pondering what had went wrong with my coconut batter through the waiting period.... Finally, I had realized that I had added a whole egg instead of half egg, as I had halved the portion for this bake... Feeling a bit disappointed with this little mistake I made, ended up "spoiled" the image of this lovely brownie...

The difference between the original brownie baked & my own version... Hahaha...

Texture wise....
It wasn't too bad after all, though the coconut batter was too runny... But I did find it abit too sweet for me even though I had cut down the sugar amount.
Not a frequent brownie that I would bake and I personally will preferred an original brownie:)
Topped it up with ice-cream, eat it up while it is still warm, makes it all up... After all, it was still a great yummy treat for the day.
Some of us loved it, some of us disliked it... Have fun trying out this recipe:)
This time, I will not be posting up my modification due to the messy bake, recipe as adapted from "Bon Appetit Desserts" will be shown below. :-D

Coconut Checkerboard Brownies
(as adapted from "Bon Appetit Desserts, by Barbara Fairchild)
Coconut Batter: 7-ounce sweetened flaked coconut
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup canned sweetened cream of coconut (such as Coco Real or Coco Lopez)
2 ounces Philadelphia-brand cream cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes, room temperature
1 extra-large egg
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
1/8 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
pinch of salt
Method : Measure 1/3 cup flaked cocount; cover and set aside. Place remaining coconut and sugar in processor, finely chop. Add cream of coconut and cream cheese to processor and blend well. Add egg, almond extract, lemon juice, and salt and blend well, stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides of bowl. Transfer to bowl. Cover and refrigerate until very firm, about 3 hours.

Chocolate Batter: 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
3-1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
2 extra-large eggs
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups (packed) golden brown sugar
3/4 cup sifted unbleached all purpose flour (sifted, then measured)
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
Chocolate Batter : Butter a 9x9x2-inch metal baking pan. Melt butter with chocolate in heavy small saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth. Pour into medium bowl. Cool to lukewarm. Whisk in eggs and vanilla. Whisk sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt in small bowl; sift over chocolate mixture. Mix until blended and smooth. Spread 1-1/4 cups chocolate batter in prepared pan (cover and refrigerate remaining batter). Cover pan tightly with aluminium foil. Refrigerate batter until very firm, about 3 hours.


Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 325F. Alternate 1 tablespoon remaining chocolate batter and 1 tablespoon coconut batter over chocolate layer, filling pan completely. Sprinkle reserved 1/3 cup flaked coconut over coconut mounds; press gently to adhere. Cover pan tightly with foil.
Bake 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake until tester inserted in center of 1 chocolate mound comes out almost clean, about 40 minutes. Cool brownies completely in pan on rack.


Cut into squares.

Here do hopped along with us to find out what the Bake-Along Hosts, Joyce, Lena, Zoe & the rest of the fellower baker friends had did for their brownies too:)

No comments:

Post a Comment