Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I am so GREEN!!!! - Delicious Pandan Kaya Cake

Is this one of your favourite cake as well???

For sure it is mine and I know some of my friends do love this cake too!!!

I have been wanting to try doing this cake for quite some time, perhaps I am just so plain lazy as I might thought the preparation will take quite a bit of my time... That's why the recipe had been lying in my shelf, collecting dust... hahahaha... Till today!!!!

Finally,

PANDAN KAYA CAKE

I had saw Peng's Kitchen recipe, and one of Alex's Goh recipe, I am pondering over the baking or the steaming method...


In the end, I took Peng's Kitchen recipe, as I know her recipe will never failed me... There, my cake is all ready!!!! I am so pleased with the outcome of the cake... It is really easy to make.
The pandan kaya was smooth and soft. The only thing was that, my cake had been sliced into 3 slices, but the kaya wasn't enough to cover the 3 layers. So that is why I only have 2 layers, with the thicker layer on the bottom, the top layer was actually meant to be the middle layer. Not too bad, as I liked more kaya than the cake.... hahahaha... I remembered when I was young, whenever I eat this cake, I will always eat the cake part and keep the kaya part for the last... :-p For the additional layer, I managed to put into 2 small cups with the "little" balance kaya I had. Verdict:Hubby had tried it, he said it was very yummy.
My colleague had also came over to collect some of the cake, her family & her said it was yummy too.Brought the 2 cups for my colleagues, they said it was nice too, except for 1, whom said she prefer more cake than the kaya... hahahaha....

Here is the recipe adapted from Peng's Kitchen.(with slight modifications)


Ingredient A
100ml pandan juice

4 egg yolks
90g castor sugar
160g all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 tsp baking powder, sift with flour
1/2 tsp baking soda, sift with flour
1 tsp pandan essence
50gm canola oil


Ingredient B
4 egg whites
50gm castor sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar


Method
Add all ingredients in (A) and mix well until the mixture is smooth.
Beat (B) until stiff peak form.
Fold 1/3 of whipped egg whites into mixture of Step 1. Then, pour this mixture to the remaining egg whites. Fold lightly to combine both mixtures.
Pour into a 8in round cake pan. Bake at a preheated over at 180 deg C for 40-45mins.
Invert to cool. When the cake is completely cool, run a knife around the sides of pan to remove the cake. Slice cake into 3 layers.





For Filling & Topping:
700g thick coconut milk
100g castor sugar
3 tsp agar-agar powder
1.5 tsp pandan paste

50ml pandan juice
6 tbsp green bean flour
desiccated coconut (for topping)


Method
Dissolve green bean flour into the pandan juice. Make sure the flour is fully dissolved and not lumpy.
Add coconut milk, castor sugar, agar-agar powder and pandan essence into a pot. Heat with a low fire.
When milk is just about to boil, turn off the fire. Pour in the green bean flour mixture. Stir well.
Allow the pandan kaya filling to cool down slightly and thicken. Stir (with a whisk) while cooling.
Place a slice of cake in a 9 in cake ring. Spread some filling on top and sides of the cake. Top with the second layer of cake. Repeat until you have 3 layers of cake and two layers of filling. Chill in fridge to set.
Remove cake ring. Lightly press desiccated coconut around sides of cake, pipe some cream and decorate as desired.


As I have mentioned, I only managed to get 2 layers with the fillings as recommended.

I had used a 7" cake tin for my cake and a 8"cake ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment