Sunday, October 28, 2012

Swan Cream Puffs / Cream Puffs

I know I am always late... late for my postings...
Seeing my fellow baking friends whom had already baked cream puffs in September for the Bake-Along theme, Lena  and Mui, both of them had also attempted on the swan puffs. When I saw their puffs, I was envy, admiring how beautifully their swan puffs had been baked.
Recently, I had also saw some FB bakers, baking these swan puffs too... So pulled up my socks and started my challenge once again!!!!
These swan puffs recipes were adapted from Kevin Chai's. His recipe had stated 3-4eggs..., so I had used only 3eggs. I guess it would have been better to use 4eggs instead, as my batter was rather thick and it did not had the smooth, sateen feel...  Ended up the cream puff texture was abit tough, but overall was quite alright... :-D
So let me try 4 eggs in future...:-D
As I couldn't buy the instant custard cream, I had use the vanilla cream that I had used for the Hokkaido Cupcakes.
So how did I fare for these swan puffs?
Recipe as adapted from Kevin Chai's Dainty Desserts
Puff Ingredients:
200ml water
25ml fresh milk
80g butter
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
170g high protein flour(cake flour)
3-4 eggs

Method:
1. Combine water, milk, butter, salt and sugar. Bring to boil.
2. Add in flour, use a wooden spoon, vigorously stir over medium heat until mixture leaves side of pan. Remove from heat.
3. Beat the dough in a mixer until cool completely. Add in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition until smooth and satiny.
4. Spoon dough into piping bag and pipe out a big rosette and swan's head & neck. Bake in a preheated oven at 180C(200C) for 25mins. Leave to cool.

Custard Ingredients:
100g instand custard powder
120ml fresh milk
200g fresh whipped cream
1/2tsp vanilla essence

Method:
Stir instant custard powder with milk, then combine with the whipped cream and vanilla essence until well-combined.

To assemble, cut the puff into half, trim the top layer to form wing shape and fill the bottom layer with custard.
Garnish with fruits, wings and head.
Dust with icing sugar.

Have fun:-D

No comments:

Post a Comment