Monday, April 9, 2012

HCP: Kong Bah Bao

I am definitely not a meat lover... I had never fancy meat since young, and I prefer fish & chicken... My hubby, on the other hand prefers meat... One of his favorite is Kong Bah Bao...
I had never fancy Kong Bah Bao as I personally felt that it is very oily and fatty because of the fats in the pork belly, until one day, I went to Ming Xiang. An authentic chinese restuarant at Amoy Street that serves very delicious Kong Bah Bao. I had to try this when I was there, and it was really fantastic. The meat was smooth & tender, the sauce was appetizing... Great one!!! And the price is very reasonable too.
So why not let me try making my own Kong Bah Bao this time, since hubby also loves it sooooo much... And of course, the happy call pan comes along... hehehehe!!!


Kong Bah Bao


I marinated the meat for about 2 hours, with some ginger slices, garlic, shallots, wolfberries, star anise, cinnamon stick and the spring onions.

Here, the "just" cooked look and the "after" cooked look...

Glad the pork belly turns out well, smooth and tender...

Good and yummy enough, hubby told me:-D

But, I didn't make the bun, and I am hopeless in making bao myself. So I bought it from the supermarket... And this bao didn't taste as good... :-p I will continue to search for the perfect bao... hehehe....

Ingredient:
500g pork belly (1 strip of pork belly)

2 tbsp light soya sauce

5 tbsp dark soya sauce (up individual's preference of color)

1 tbsp sugar

1 tbsp sesame oil

few slices of ginger

4-5 pcs of garlic

4-5 pcs of shallot

1-2 star anise

1 cinnamon stick

1 tbsp hua tiao

1 stalk spring onion


Method:
1. Marinate pork belly with all the ingredients for 2 hours or more.

2. Heat HCP, pick out the garlic, shallot, ginger, star anise and cinnamon, fry lightly till fragrant.

3. Pot in the pork belly with marinate and cook on med heat for 5 mins.

4. Remove from pan, slice the pork belly into slices of about 1.5-2cm thick.

5. Add in 2 cups of water and simmer on low heat for 1.5 hours

(Take note: the water must cover the pork belly in order to have a smooth & soft texture)

6. Flip the pork belly and then to ensure even cooking, check on water level and add more if necessary

7. Add in 2 tbsp of hua tiao jiu 5-10 mins before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment