Sunday, April 22, 2012

Banana & Macadamia Nut Chiffon Cake

This Banana & Macadamia Nut Chiffon Cake was simply simply delicious!!! Well, I was searching for a Banana recipe as my bananas was overly riped, and I didn't want to waste them... So here we have, a very awesome chiffon cake that no one would have expected such a huge surprise in this cake!!!

Banana & Macadamia Nut Chiffon Cake

The last time when we had the Bake Along #21, with the Fresh Strawberry Cake  with White Chocolate Chips Cake from The Cake Keeper Cakes by Lauren Chattman, I was very tempted to own one... Thanks to the Bake Along host, Joyce, Zoe & Lena, that I bought this book... hehehe...and, I had also bought a Cake Simple book... All the cake recipes looks so yummy, but unfortunately, some cakes I might baked them for the 1st & last time as they will not fancy any to my 3 little monsters... Fortunately, I was still able to find some which might interest my gals and hubby as well... :-D

This is actually my 1st 9" chiffon cake that I had ever tried to bake. Well, basically, I do not own a 9" tube pan and mine is a much small and wider pan... This tin actually belongs to my girlfriend's... hehehehe!
"What a huge chiffon cake", I thought to myself after I remove the cake out from the oven... Gosh, it just looks huge! I had also used 2 small little chiffon tin as it didn't fit all the batter there were....

I didn't expect too much of how great this chiffon cake will be... But it turns out sooooo well, that it was unspeakable of... I am just wordless... The chiffon was awfully moist, soft and spongy... And you will kinda of feel & hear the spongy feeling on the cake...
Here is Mimi, as usual, laying her tiny hands on the cake whenever it is cooled... 
 She saw the cake on the table, and she quickly grabbed a slice and ate it, "Nice cake mummy, nice" as she ate it. She hurriedly grabbed another slice, "Give Daddy eat k?"

I had given some of the chiffon to my girlfriend and brought some for my colleagues. Well, all were full of praises for this chiffon. My colleague whom loves bananas, asked me for more, but the cake was already finished by the rest...
And today, I make more for my colleagues whom had requested for more...
*The measurements given in grams are based on my own. 
*The recipe called for a 9" tube pan, but however, due to the bananas, the batter seems to be much more, so I think it will be better if we use a 10" pan to fit this batter.

Ingredients:
1 1/3 cup cake flour (165g cake flour)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup mashed bananas (abt 2 bananas)
1/4 cup water (60ml water)
7 eggs, 5 separated, 2 whole
1 1/2 cup sugar (175g sugar, 125g-50g)
1/2 cup vegetable oil (100ml canola oil)
1tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup macadamia nuts (50g nuts)
1/4 tsp cream of tar tar

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 325F(165C).
2. Combine flour, baking powder & salt in a bowl. Set aside. Combine mashed bananas & water in a small bowl. Set aside.
3.Place egg yolks and whole eggs in a large mixing bowl and beat on medium high speed until lightened in color, about 3 mins. With the mixer still running, add in 1 cup of sugar (125g) in a slow, steady stream and continue to beat until the mixture is light and increased in volume, about 5mins longer. With the mixer still running, slowly pour in the oil and continue to beat for 1 min longer. Stir in the vanilla.
4. with the mixer on low speed, add in 1/3 of the flour, then 1/2 the banana mixture. Repeat with the remaining flour & banana mixture, ending with the flour. Stir in the nuts.
5. With clean beaters and using a clean mxing bowl, whip the egg whites on the medium speed until forthy. Add cream of tar tar and continue to beat on medium speed until the egg whites begin to turn white. With the mixer still on medium speed, pour in the remaining 1/2 cup sugar (50g) in a slow, steady stream and whip until the whites hold stiff peaks.
6. Fold in 1/4 of the yolk mixture into the egg whites to lighten. Then fold the whites into the yolk mixture, gently but thoroughly. Pour the batter into the tube pan ans smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Bake the cake until it is golden brown and the top springs back with you touch it, 55 mins to 1 hr.
7. Remove the pan from the oven. Invert your cake and let it cool for about 2 hours.
8. Remove cake for the pan. Slice & Serve.
** Cake can be store at room temperature for about 3 days.

Hope you try this cake and enjoy this cake as much as we had all did:-D

No comments:

Post a Comment