Sunday, June 17, 2012

Bake Along # 26 - Pear & Maple Crumble

Time had passed by so quickly... Weekends are gone, and back to office tomorrow... *yawn*...

I was hoping I could make it in time to submit my bake in the Bake Along #26. I had came across Lena's post about her Pear & Maple Crumble, and I saw that the link closed in 1 day's time... I was like, should I try baking this today... And I did...
Using whatever I had in my fridge, I managed to make these crumble... just in time before the submission of Bake Along #26 ends...
I had bought the Bon Appetit book from online, and I had gotten it for a very good price. Kinokuniya was like selling it for about S$60+, and I tried to get them from Amazon, which will cost me S$50+... But I got this book from Fishpond at S$30+ plus a S$10 coupon off. It was such a good deal...
I had bought some pears, can't remember what pears they are called, but from China, rather sweet pears. So I reckon these pears will do fine for these crumble. Also I do not have the crystallized giner, I had replaced them with ginger powder. And of course, using almonds...
These pear & maple crumble were very easy to make... No fuss nor mess..:-D
And they were awesome and delicious... The crumbles alone were a good one, I love crumbles very much...
 Hubby and the gals did not really fancy these... not their favourite... I do quite like it very much. While taking the pictures of the crumbles, I had taken a few teaspoons of the crumbles... Yummy as it should be...mmmmm.....

I had used Lena's portion of ingredients as I was rushing for time... By the time I had gotten back home, it was already 5pm. Quickly prepared the ingredients and set them off to the oven. The portion was enought for my 4 ramekins as shown below.
The pear in maple syrup and then, cover with the crumbles, ready to be baked.

Topped with the fresh blueberries, they do go very well indeed... The sweetness of the pear, plus a bit sourish of the blueberries, blends very well... 
 I was glad that this crumble turns out very well. A very surprisingly delicious tea-time snack or dessert. Most of all, it was very easy to prepare:-D

 I had taken the ingredients from Lena as I do not have much time to go through the book, plus my book is in the office... hahaha... pardon me...

I have make some slight modifications to suit my own taste, other then that, you may wish to follow what Lena had used for her ingredients.

Recipe from Bon Appetit

Topping:
83gm plain flour
1/3 cup pistachio nuts, coarsely chopped (I used almond nuts)
30gm castor sugar
38gm cold butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes

Combine flour, nuts and sugar together and rub the butter in till moist clumps form. Chill them for about an hour.

Filling:
2 small pears, peeled, quartered, cored and cut into cubes
2 tbsp raisins (I omitted as I do not fancy raisins:-p)
1/2 tbsp plain flour
1/4 cup of maple syrup
3 finely chopped crystallized ginger (I used 1 tsp ginger powder)

Method:
1.Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350F/170C. Place pears, maple syrup. flour and ginger in large bowl, toss to coat. Let stand 15 minutes, tossing occasionally.
2.Divide the  pear mixture to 2 separate oven proof bowls, sprinkle topping over. Bake crumble until topping is crisp , about 30 minutes. Let stand at least 10 minutes before serving.



 While waiting for the crumble to be baked, I have helped the gals make some animal masks. Nat has a school assignment, to make an animal mask. So end up the other 2 gals wanna make one as well. Mimi was so enthusiatic about making her mask, ended up she got bored and restless, she took something else to play...


Do click on the links below to find out what have the Bake-ALong Hosts had did and also the other bakers, on their wonderful works too:-D



No comments:

Post a Comment