Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Free and Easy Bake-Along #19 : Lemon Poppy Seed-Sour Cream Cake


Who could have thought that this cake was so tempting and delicious? I was browsing Lena's blog yesterday when I saw her with her Lemon Poppy Seed Soured Cream Cake. I was sure if this cake will turns out delicious. With the intention of baking a Lemon Drizzle Cake, I was being "persuaded" to bake this Lemon Black Sesame Seed Cake instead by Peng's Kitchen, whom had made hers, and sweared it is GOOD!!!

As Lena had used poppy seeds for her bake, I use black sesame seeds as I do not have poppy seeds. This recipe came just in time as I had the intention of baking a lemon drizzle cake, plus my 7 lemons in my fridge... :-p I had also replaced soured cream with low-fat yoghurt.

Also Joyce had also invited me to join in their Bake-Along session, so here I am with my bake:-D

I had seen the other ladies using bundt tin for this bake. I do have one but my bundt tin is rather big and I do not fancy using it as my bakes always turn out to be burnt and it sticks... :-p
I use a 20cm square tin instead, turns out quite alright, except for the centre part when I remove the parchment paper... The cooling part..... I was so anxious to try the cake but I had to cool the cake, plus the drizzle of the lemon syrup, plus the photo-takings before I could set my mouth on the cake... Ahahaha!!!

And it was REALLY good!!! The soft & moist texture of the cake, with the lemon tangy smell and taste that will lingers in your mouth... Superb!!! Most of all, this recipe is super duper easy to prepare:)) Try it!!! Recipe ( from Rose's Heavenly Cakes )
Ingredients:
(with slight modifications)
1 large egg + 1/2 half egg yolk
100g yoghurt
2 tsp vanilla essence
125g cake flour
75g castor sugar
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 lemon zest, finely grated
25g black sesame seeds
100g unsalted butter, softened

Methods:
1.Preheat the oven at 180C, 20mins before baking and set the oven rack in the lower third of the oven.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the whole eggs, yolk, 1/4 cup of the yoghurt, vanilla, just until lightly combined.
3.In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, lemon zest and poppy seeds on low speed for 30 seconds. Add the butter and the remaining sour cream. Mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are moistened. Increase the speed to medium and beat for another 1 1/2 minutes.
4. Starting on low speed, gradually add the egg mixture in 2 parts, beating on medium speed for 30 seconds after each addition to incorporate the ingredients and strengthen the structure Using a spatula, scrape the batterinto the prepared tin and smooth the surface.
5.Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until cake tester inserted in comes out clean.The cake should start to shrink from the pan after removal from the oven.

While the cake is baking, make the lemon syrup.
50g sugar
50g lemon juice
In a small saucepan or microwave, heat the sugar and lemon juice, stirring often, until the sugar is dissolved. Do not allow it to boil, cover it tightly to prevent evaporation.
As soon as the cake comes out from oven, place the pan on a wire rack, poke the cake all over with a thin skewer and brush it with one third of the syrup.
Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 mins, invert them on to a plate and brush the top and sides of the cake with the remaining syrup. Cool completely and wrap airtight.

Bake Along Hosts:
Joyce from Kitchen Flavours
Lena from Frozen Wings
Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids




No comments:

Post a Comment