Monday, February 20, 2012

Orange Chiffon Cake / Mandarin Orange Chiffon Cake

I was browsing through my blog last Friday and I saw Small Small Baker had made a Mandarin Orange Chiffon Cake. And boy was I so tempted as I had been wanting to try baking one for a very long time. So I took this chance and baked this chiffon cake over the weekend.


Orange Chiffon Cake


I must really admit, this chiffon cake was FANTASTIC. SSB had use a 17-cm tin so hers looks more higher, whereas my tin was 20-cm, thus mine looks abit swallow and lower cos of the bigger tin used.

When I took it out from the oven, it has this "oil" tingy smell, which I thought, maybe this chiffon cake wouldn't taste as great as it was... But I was absolutely WRONG!!!!
The cake was really soft, with the fragrant of the orange and the orange zest in it, makes it so delicious. Even Nic whom hestiated to try the cake initally, LOVED it so much as well.

This is definitely one good recipe to keep!

The soft texture of the chiffon, really really soft... Perhaps you might think that I had over exaggerrate this but really, please try this recipe:)

It was so yummy that I had actually made 1 orange chiffon & 2 mandarin orange chiffon cake over the weekend.
Worth the time:))

Recipe as adapted from SSB Blog:

Orange / Mandarin Orange Chiffon Cake
Ingredients (makes one 17cm chiffon tin)
3 egg yolks
20g sugar
30g vegetable oil
40ml fresh Mandarin orange juice
zest of 1 Mandarin orange
50g cake flour

3 egg whites
50g sugar
5g corn flour

Method
1. Whisk egg yolks and sugar until the sugar dissolves.
2. Gradually add in vegetable oil, followed by Mandarin orange juice and zest.
3. Sift cake flour twice and add into egg yolk mixture. Mix until just combined. Set aside.
4. In another bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy. Add in combined sugar and corn flour mixture gradually and continue whisking until stiff peak form.
5. Gently fold in the egg white into the egg yolk batter (in step 3) in 3 batches.
6. Pour the batter into an ungreased chiffon tin. Give the tin a few slight knocks on the tabletop to remove air bubbles. Bake in preheated oven at 170 deg C for 35 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and invert the tin immediately onto a cooling rack.
8. Unmould the cake only when it is completely cool.

Have fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment