Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Bake Along #25 - Bake Along 1st Anniversary Layer Cake - Macadamia Chocolate Cake

I hadn't had much time recently as I was busy with Missy's school homework. I had baked this cake a couple of weeks back, and I had saved it for this Bake-Along #25, 1st Annivesary Layer Cake theme, as I thought I would have much time to bake when the time comes.. Luckily I came into my blog today and saw the other bakers' posting for this Bake-Along 1st Annivesary Layer Cake theme... hehehe.... Else, I could have missed it out....

Wishing Bake-Along a very Happy Happy 1st Anniversary...
And from this Bake-ALong, I was glad that I had known the Bake-Along hosts, Joyce, Lena & Zoe. I have gotten to meet more Bakers whom bakes are so wonderful, and a great sharing place:))

Here is my bake, the Macadamia Chocolate Cake.
It was a really easy recipe to bake and try out.
I am very bad with slicing my cake into layers as they usually turns out to be out of shape or they are not evenly sliced... I have yet to find the perfect solution or the easiest way to slice them into layers.. hahaha... But I was glad, that this time, the layers were kinda equally thick... oops...:-p
This chocolate cake I made this time, was by steaming. The outcome of the cake was not too bad. I had actually expected it to be slightly hard after refrigeration, but it was still in a perfect condition.
The recipe was using hazelnut, but I do not have any, thus I replaced it with macadamia, which works fine as well. As for the side of the cake, I have mixed with some almond for the "browning" color of the nuts.
This cake was a hit among my family... We all love it sooooooo much... The macadamia nut cream was very good too. Not too buttery nor too rich, with the not-too-sweet and soft, steamed chocolate cake, it did compliment the whole cake as it should be...
I simply LOVE this cake, plus my layers were nicely sliced this time... hahahaha....
I could resist but to have a slice of the cake everyday, which usually I don't... Sinful as it was, it was worth it:))
Here is the recipe I adapted from Alex Goh's Steamed Cake recipe:
(with slight modification)

Steamed Chocolate Cake
(A)
320g sponge mix flour (we can use chocolate sponge mix as well)
4 eggs
(B)
30g water
(C)
1 tbsp chocolate emulco (can omit this if you use choc sponge mix)
(D)
50g melted butter

Method:
1. Whip (A) untick thick. Add in (B), whip until light & fluffy.
2. Add in (C), mix until well blended.
3. Add in (D), mix until well blended.
4. Pour into a greased and line 20cam round mould.
5. Steam for about 40 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.

Macadamia Cream
(A)
Butter cream
500g butter
150g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
*Cream butter & icing sugar until light & fluffy.

(B)
Custard
90g instant custard powder
220g milk
*Mix all ingredients until well combined. Leave aside until thicken.

Ingredients:
300g butter cream
300g custard
60g toasted ground macadamia nuts + extra for the side of the cake
Method:
1. Mix all ingredients until well-blended.

Assembly of the cake:
1. Slice the cake into 3 equal layers.
2. Sandwich the cake layers with the macadamia cream.
3. Cover the whole cake with the cream andcover the side of the cake with the toasted ground macadamia (i added some almond nuts for the "browning" effect)
4. Refrigerate until firm. Decorate as desired.

As I wrote this blog in the office, I wasn't able to load up the Bake-Along icon in here, due to some security blockage that our office had set... The pictures of my cake was loaded up at home, and I had totally forgotten to load up the Bake-Along icon.
So Bake-Along Hosts, do pardon me for this:-(

Happy 1st Anniersary to Bake-Along once again!!

Let's take a look at the other bakers for the wonderful recipes too:))

No comments:

Post a Comment